The Mixto Sandwich is known in America as The Cuban Sandwich. It is vintage (found in Cuban restaurants as early as the 1930's) and most delicious but is served flattened and toasted, which just doesn't work for a packed lunch. This recipe has the taste and feel of the traditional Cuban Sandwich but is tweaked for the Lunch Box. The sandwich thins works best since the traditional sandwich is flattened (thin) bread.
Here is the lowdown-
- Sandwich thins (I use Arnold's multi-grain)
- ham, 4 slices or to taste
- shredded pork (I use leftovers), about 1/4 of a cup
- Swiss cheese (I say Baby Swiss all the way..... baby!) 1-2 slices, to taste
- mustard, to taste
- dill pickle slices (a must), 1-2
Spread mustard on the inside of both sandwich thin pieces. Layer on cheese, shredded pork, then add pickle, and top with ham. **Place the pickle between the two meats to keep the pickle juice from getting the bread soggy.