Monday, September 19, 2011

Sides: Sweet and Salty Peanuts


I have been putting nuts in my childrens lunch boxes for quite some time but I am telling you, since buying these cute tins, I am enjoying it even more.

 Cute tins + healthy + tastey = what-are-you-waiting-for??

(p.s. My older boys were home when I was baking them and the spices had the house smelling so good they were about to go crazy.)

Sweet and Salt Peanuts

1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp salt (if using unsalted nuts)
1 egg white
3 cups peanuts (other nuts would work), divided

Preheat oven to 250°F. Mix sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt (if using) in a small bowl. Beat egg white in large bowl until foamy. Add 2 cups nuts. Toss to coat well. Add spice mixture. Toss to coat nuts evenly. Spread nuts in single layer on lightly greased baking sheet.  Bake 1 hour, stirring once half way through. Cool slightly and break apart. Cool completely. Add the 1 cup of peanuts that were reserved. You can store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment