Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Muffuletta


Today is the perfect day for a Muffuletta but this was lunch for my husband's lunch box, not the children's. But I am determined to make a healthier/kid friendly version of this hearty and traditional sandwich and I feel confident that I can make it work! Look for it in the next few days or so. In the meantime, here is the simple version of the real deal. Well..... all except I used mayo and mustard which is totally nontraditional, and I didn't use the right bread or make my own olive salad. But other than that, this is the real deal!

Muffuletta
  • One round loaf of bread (I found an oval shaped Artisan multi grain loaf)**
  • 1 cup olive salad (I used Gambino's Peperoncini brand)
  • 1/4 lb. hard salami
  • 1/4 lb. sliced ham
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 4 slices mozzarella cheese
Spread olive salad on bread (could spread on both halves), then add sliced meats and cheeses. Wrap and know that it's perfect that it goes in the lunch box because it gets better as it sits and the juices are absorbed in the bread.

** Works best with a bread that is crusty on the outside but softer in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment